Γράφει η Ε. Π.
I have two great loves in my life… music and books
i would like to combine them in this article and show you some songs that were inspired from books… hope you like it..
1. Kiss That Frog by Peter Gabriel from a book by Bruno Betelheim called The Uses Of Enchantment. It dealt with the frog and princess fairy tale in terms of sexuality. The message is that by accepting the frog, he may become a prince.
2. 2+2=5 by Radiohead is a reference to George Orwell’s novel, 1984. In the book, Big Brother was teaching individuals to reject what they once knew to be true. Where 2+2=4, he was teaching them that 2+2=5.
3. Been Down So Long by The Doors. This was inspired by Richard Farina’s 1966 novel Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me. Farina died in a motorcycle accident 2 days after it was published.
4. Catcher In The Rye by Guns N’ Roses.The title refers to J.D. Salinger’s novel of adolescence Catcher in the Rye. Rose appears to be questioning in this song why angst-ridden youths, such as Mark Chapman, the murderer of John Lennon, appear to be motivated by the book’s anti-hero Holden Caulfield.
5. Falls To Climb by R.E.M.This song was inspired by the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, which is about a small village where every year a person is chosen through a lottery. At the end we find out that the «winner» is to be stoned.
6. Gas Panic! by Oasis The lyrics of this song seem to be describing the character Randall Flagg, who is a villain in many Stephen King novels.
7. Higher Than Hope by Nightwish.The first line of the chorus was taken from Lord Of The Rings
8. Join Me In Death by Him Ville Valo, is asking the love of his life if she would give it all up for love, and if she would commit suicide for love. The song is based on Romeo And Juliet.
9. November Rain by Guns N’ Roses.The lyrics and the video are based on a short story by Del James called Without You. The story is part of a collection called The Language Of Fear.
10. Soulmate by Natasha Bedingfield. This song was inspired by John Gray’s book Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. She explained: «The book is just all about how men and women are different and how we kind of have to explain to each other, because we’re speaking in a different language — how to love in the way that we need it.»
11. The Invisible Man by Queen. From book The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
12. The Road by Hurts. The lyrics are about a car accident and were inspired by JG Ballard’s novel Crash and colored by Cormac McCarthy’s apocalyptic book The Road, which Hutchcraft read three times while writing Exile.
13. The Ocean by U2 mentions Dorian Gray.
14. The Phantom Of The Opera by Iron Maiden.
15. The Ghost Of Tom Joad by Bruce Springsteen. Tom Joad is a character in John Steinbeck’s novel . Near the end of the story, Tom makes his famous «I’ll be there» speech, which is also noted in the lyrics.